9.11.2005

My broken car broke my Dad

My bugsI visited my parents today, so I also thought it would be good to visit my first car, which currently lives in their garage.

It's a 1974 Deluxe Standard Beetle ("Deluxe" refers to the rear window defroster) that we purchased shockingly 9 years ago. Even though I only drive it once every 4-6 months or so at this point, it always starts on the second try and toodles along quite well. I've maintained the engine myself and it's a generally reliable car... now. When I first bought it, it seemed to need new parts every few days and notoriously stalled and required the kindness of strangers to push start it from time to time. This hasn't happened for years... but it happened today.

My Dad and I took the old bug out to pick up some lunch. Enjoyed seeing some kids stop dead in their tracks to watch us drive past and got to a plaza nearby without incident. After we got the food and came out, the car wouldn't start. No click. Nothing.

What to do? Push start.

My Dad got out, so I could work the clutch and he started pushing. After a couple of tries I popped the clutch and had the car running. Unfortunately, at precisely the same time, my Dad pulled a tendon in his leg. Possibly unrelated, but man do I feel guilty. My old car has been sent to its room to think about what it's done.

On my way home, I took nothing but back roads. While gliding along a deserted stretch of road near Bradford, going slightly faster than the posted limit, I was listening to the following song. Made for a lovely Sunday afternoon drive.

Glad by Traffic

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2005 Brendan Lynch