7.26.2005

IKEA is Swedish for "furniture I like"

Ok, ok, I like IKEA products. I seem to end up there no matter my grand intentions of interior design. As a result, well over 90% of my home furnishings are from IKEA. I even know their pseudo-Swedish names: ELLNE, GROGGY, DOCENT, PAX, and my favorite... POANG.

I've been looking for a foyer mirror since I moved into my loft. I had very specific needs, a mirror 19 inches or less wide and over a metre tall. This just doesn't exist, apart from bedroom floor mirrors (a la your teenage daughter's room beveled thing). Anyway, I was at IKEA last night to buy a set of glass doors for my DOCENT wall unit I recently re-engineered again (it already doubled as a desk, now it has a funky filing cabinet motif as well)... and there it was - 16 inches wide and 55 inches tall. Plus it includes a clock (I like clocks):

HOVET mirror

Anyway, it now gracefully hangs vertically next to my front door. I'm sure eventually I will equate IKEA to "Swedish for crap" -- but at least in the short term, I'm satisfied.

We Both Go Down Together by The Decemberists

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2005 Brendan Lynch