1.22.2006

iBook: annoying audio bug

I'm writing this from my second iBook, a 1.33GHz G4 model. My last was the original 800Mhz G4. I'm very pleased with this machine, except for one annoying bug.

Every once and a while, the audio balance shifts. Typically, it's to the left -- but it appears to be totally random. Apple has documented this as an issue that occurs when you change volume rapidly while the machine is under load. This has been noted for the iBook (including the last model I had, although I never encounted this) and Mac mini. Is changing the volume that much of an effort? I toyed around with turning the volume up and down and up and down quickly while the sound preferences panel was open. The balance does get thrown off on occasion, and it will correct itself on occasion too. Another item of note is that normally when this happens, an audible click or static is heard in the place of the normal "bubble" sound. Even if I hold down shift (which mutes the feedback noise), this static can be heard from time to time.

If anyone has a real fix for this (and not a daemon to reset it), I'd be interested to hear about it. One day last week I thought my headphones were broken when sound was only coming from the left headphone. Turns out it was this bug again.

It's Oh So Quiet by Björk

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2005 Brendan Lynch