1.02.2006

"Not To Scale" (a triptych in progress)

Not To Scale

I've been playing with this idea for decorative art in my loft for a long while now. Spacing Magazine started creating these cool Toronto subway station buttons last year. I snapped up a complete set (they have since added the Sheppard and SRT lines) and held on to them with this plan in mind. This Christmas, my parents provided me with the materials to get going with it, namely the canvasses and shelf.

What I'm contemplating now is if I should add more to it. Here are the ideas (in no particular order, plan or significance):

- yellow and green painted lines behind the buttons to represent the actual routes of the Bloor-Danforth and Yonge-University-Spadina lines
- add the Sheppard line (with or without magenta painted line)
- add the Scarborough RT line on a separate mini-canvas to the right
- add the words NOT TO SCALE to the leftmost canvas in the top left corner, perhaps in typical stencil letters

I would value your opinion on this. Please comment with your feedback, and I hope you like it so far.

BTW, current specs: ~74 x 36 inches, 62 1-inch buttons

Straight Ahead by Tube & Berger

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2005 Brendan Lynch